"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." (Dale Carnegie)


Monday, February 15, 2010

Learning

Ever since I’ve been in education I’ve found it important to make learning meaningful and fun! Most of my teaching experience has been in the primary elementary grades. It’s important as a teacher to make sure that you recognize every kind of learner. Therefore, I have always used teaching strategies that target the different learning styles. Of course, in the primary grades it’s always important to incorporate movement and use many visuals. Manipulatives are always essential for the kinesthetic learner. I believe in using background music with different beats depending upon the subject and assignment to increase the students’ productivity.

Several years ago I became interested in how the brain works and how it affects a student’s learning. This has made me incorporate brain gym activities into my daily classroom routine. A student can’t learn if their body and brain is not ready. I use a series of brain gym activities called PACE to get the student ready for learning. These activities allow the student to de-stress and cross their midline so both sides of the brain are working. I also believe it’s important to have the student drink water throughout the day because their brain can’t function without water.

Learning must be fun! I always tell my students’, ”If you do your best you have done your job!” As an educator it is important to make sure you are teaching to all your students, your students are learning, and they are becoming thinkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment